Fabric Review: Navy Poplin
The beauty of making your own clothes is that you can take inspiration from anywhere. In this case , that inspiration comes straight from the catwalk.
Lately I have been admiring the style of designer Cecilie Bahnsen. Many of the dresses in her Spring/Summer 2020 collection had statement sleeves, puff shoulders and gathered skirts. I wanted to emulate that style but make it less dramatic so it can fit in with my everyday style.
Since I love to hack patterns and create the looks I want, I started with a pattern that had statement sleeves. I chose Simplicity 8839. It’s a top pattern with a variety of statement sleeves. I used the most dramatic view as a base for my dress hack. This view has 3 channels of elastic in the sleeve but I chose to only use one elastic channel.
I knew this pattern would work perfectly with the navy printed poplin I chose to work with for this Sewcial Network blog post.
The transition from top to dress is a fairly simple one, but as always I made a muslin to ensure all the elements of my inspiration translated well in real life.
To modify the pattern, I shortened the top to just below my natural waist. Then I added a small piece of gathered fabric to the hem to act as a skirt (my real dress would be longer). For the sleeves, I omitted two of the elastic bias tape channels and I added an elastic channel to the sleeve hem instead of at the cuff as the pattern instructions describe. I shortened the sleeve by about 3 inches and this resulted in a bell shaped sleeve and no extra fabric at the wrists, which is perfectly practical for me.
Poplin proved to be a good choice for this dress. I loved the way this fabric didn’t fray much and it sews and presses well. It holds the shape of the puffed sleeves fabulously – takes gathering like a champ. Poplin is great for anything that needs structure like a shirt collar and it can give a garment a lovely crisp feel.
I used a pocket pattern piece from an old skirt pattern and used some linen scraps to create in seam pockets. My finished dress is quite short so in an effort to preserve some length, I used bias tape to finish the hem. This gave me a tiny hem and a very clean finish.
I’m pleased with the result of my runway inspired make. In all honesty, this isn’t my usual go to style but the more clothes I sew for myself, the more I realise that my style is an ever evolving thing, and I like that. Having said that, I’m looking forward to seeing where my next batch of inspiration will come from.
Miranda @ Mirry Maker